Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, March 31, 2008

Updates-- Medical School and spring break





So as you can tell Rebecca has tried to catch you all up on what has transpired over the past year. Not a bad job. Now I guess it is my turn to sum up the last month or so. Lets see, maybe I should talk about me. I have made a final decision on medical school. I will be attending DeBusk. DeBusk is probably the school that fits me the best academically. I feel that I could better succeed there than anyone else. However with raising a family and what not, it would be hard to turn down instate tuition (13K as compared to 35-45K), being near my family and being in a city that I know very well. So had UNM accepted me it would have been hard to turn them down. I told Rebecca before hand that it wouldn't be a win win situation either way. If I was accepted to UNM I would be sad turning down DeBusk, but at the same time if I wasn't I would be very very mad that UNM didn't accept me yet again, ever after doing all that they asked me to. Of course when the letter came, I was quite up set. I wanted to go "knock some heads together." I was also accepted to go to school in Colorado, and asked to interview in Arizona, due to them doubling their class size this year. After dealing with Philly and Drexel, I decided not to interview here. So we will most likely live five minutes across the boarder in Kentucky. I am very excited to go. A small 10,000 people town sounds very nice after living in Philly. Medical school sure is dragging me places. Ive never wanted to live on the east coast or in the south! Someone has a sick sense of humour. With my luck I'll do residency in California (its fun to visit but I would never want to live there).










We just got back from part of our spring break vacation. We first headed up to Niagara Falls. We got some killer deals on hotel rooms because it was winter. It was very cold and Rebecca turned into a walking ice cube (or at least you would think so how she kept mentioning how cold she was and that we should go back and get hot chocolate!). It snowed the second day there. The snow caused the falls to make a thick fog that the lights could not shine through at night. It made walking to the falls very creepy. The fog was red and green, and the falls disappeared into it. It was way cool. I could have watched the water go over the falls for hours and never get bored. We also went to the butterfly conservatory. It was crazy seeing hundreds of butterflies darting every which way. The had all sorts of colors on them. They even had some that changed colors depending on how you looked at them. I had several land on me, including one that landed on my shirt and just hung on for a ride as I walked around. We also went to the aviary. They had dozens of parrots, toucans and other tropical birds flying all around you. It was really neat. I got to feed the lorikeets. They gave me a cup of nectar and in no time flat I was being attacked by 10+ lorikets. We then headed down to Palmyra to see the church sites. That was quite a treat. We went to the sacred grove on a early spring morning and I tell you what, there were no bees buzzing, but lots of snow crunching beneath our feet. On the hill Comorah I wanted to write "READ THE BOOK OF MORMON" in the fresh snow, but Rebecca wouldn't let me! They had the dead seas scroll exhibit there at the visitors center. We really liked going to the Whitmer farm and visitors center. The sister missionary there did such an awesome job. I learned quite a bit about the Whitmers, the organization of the church and the translation of the Book of Mormon. We also went to the Grandin printing press. It was quite a spiritual experience to stand on hollowed ground and listen to the missionaries bear their testimonies about it all. We got back on Sunday and on Wednesday we will head up to NYC to see the sights and go see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway (though Rebecca doesn't know that we will be seeing it!).

No comments: